Welcome to Sew in the Snow Blog

This blog is about my passions in life: family, quilting, and new adventures. Quilting is my main passion! I also love my family tirelessly and devote most of my energy to my young preschool girls and my husband. This blog will be about my creative process in quilting and some about being a Mom in this busy world. Being of Irish descent, I love a good story. So buckle in, here we go!

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Quilt Bindings Conqured: Completed UFO's

 This is the week of completing UFO's.  The dreaded binding stage.  It's my least favorite part of quilting.  It seems a little like, hmmm, well... drudgery.  But, this weekend I was rummaging around in my stash and these UFOs kept getting in my way!  They kept falling off of the shelves and interrupting my creative flow as I picked out colors to begin a new quilt.  The nerve of those things!  

So, I have determined to complete all four of them.  No starting something new until these are finished.  (Ah, there's the real lure!  Beginning.)

I began  with the blue and white celestial quilt. It is one of my favorite combinations of colors because it has such great contrast.   The pattern is from a great Jelly-roll book, "A Baker's Dozen"made by the staff at That Patchwork Place. This book tells you how to use your stash to create the necessary jelly roll, honey bun, layer cake, or charm pack.  I made this quilt using my stash fabrics.  I had to buy material for the border and binding, but the rest I already had!  
The binding went on so quickly that I was inspired to tackle the next one immediately.

The next one was a pattern from another book featuring jelly rolls, the Jelly Roll Quilts book by Pam and Nicky Lintott.  I made this quilt with a friend after we used exchanged jelly rolls from our individual stashes for Christmas.  It was pretty simple to put together.  It has a warm brown polar fleece on the back.  I trimmed the backing to 3/4 of an inch past the quilt edge, then flipped the backing over to make a binding.  Pretty quick binding, and it doesn't look bad.  Have you tried this?


Tonight I put the binding on my Asian quilt.  It was a really fun quilt to make.  It's a fast pattern that still looks great. (Unfortunately, I have misplaced the pattern, and I can't remember the title.  I'll update this later.)  I had an Asian fabric fat-quarter set that I used with some browns that I had for the "outline" boxes.  It showcases large prints very well.  I may try it again with some kid's prints--dancing mice and other woodland creatures--that are large.  I highly recommend it!




How many UFO's do you have?  What's the most you UFO'S you've ever had?  I'd love to hear from you!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be considerate of others in your comment. Thank you.