Welcome to Sew in the Snow Blog

This blog is about my passions in life: family, quilting, and new adventures. Quilting is my main passion! I also love my family tirelessly and devote most of my energy to my young preschool girls and my husband. This blog will be about my creative process in quilting and some about being a Mom in this busy world. Being of Irish descent, I love a good story. So buckle in, here we go!

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

WIP: Scrappy Quilt Kits

Today I've decided to spend a few hours cutting fabric to make my own stash scrappy-quilts-kits.  I hope to have 5 quilts worth of fabric cut by the end of work today. That does sound ambitious, doesn't it?  Hmmmm.... 

I do have some strips cut to start one out. It's going to be a blue and white celestial theme quilt.  The others I haven't really decided on yet.  I have two fabulous quilt books that use jelly rolls, so that's easy to cut.  I also have some fun quilt quilt patterns that I've been thinking of making lately.  Here's an example of some of them.


Since I haven't actually sewn anything, I'll show you pictures of quilts that I have made in the past and I'm going to cut fabric to make similar quilts this winter.  With the cutting done, I should be able to get out a kit and make a quilt pretty quickly.  Cutting can be tedious, but it can also be fun as I imagine how all the fabric will work together.  I love color!  It's my favorite thing about quilting... matching the colors up for a stunning quilt.  :)







 I am going to share my quilting stash with you.  WARNING: don't panic.  It is kinda messy.  I've tried having it neatly organized into color ranges and such, but that doesn't fit my style.  I love to root through a pile of fabric like a dog joyfully digging a hole.  So, now I keep each color  or theme fabrics (like Celestial fabrics or outdoor fabric) in it's own bin so that I can freely paw through it.  It feels like Christmas to me... searching for just the right fabric can be messy and fun!
theme bins: sailing, fall, fruits, fall, flowers, blues, finished blocks, coffee, etc

Precut strips: 1.5" in bag, 2.5" out of bag
color bins: red/orange, black/brown, blues, yellows/whites


1 comment:

  1. I love your messy scraps! It takes way too much time to keep everything organized - you should enjoy the search process, just like you said. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please be considerate of others in your comment. Thank you.