Welcome to Sew in the Snow Blog

This blog is about my passions in life: family, quilting, and new adventures. Quilting is my main passion! I also love my family tirelessly and devote most of my energy to my young preschool girls and my husband. This blog will be about my creative process in quilting and some about being a Mom in this busy world. Being of Irish descent, I love a good story. So buckle in, here we go!

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

WIP: Knitting Needle Case

New Spring Knitting Needle Cases Finished this week
This week I decided to replenish my store of knitting needle cases for my Etsy shop.  I have sold about half of what I originally made and I want to make some that have a fresh spring feel about them.  So, on Monday, I got out my new fabrics that I bought last week. 

Ohhhh!  How fun to play with the new fabrics!  Having about 10 brand new third-yards cuts of glorious batiks and rich spring greens to play with I felt truly rich in fabric.  I auditioned each group of colors to see what would best compliment each other in a knitting clutch/case which typically has 2 colors in it.  Then, I cut out enough to make one or two knitting clutches from the fabric. 

So, how is a knitting needle case made?  All measurements here are accurate so that you can make one if you want.  Each knitting needle case has 3 pockets: 4.5", 6.5", and 8.5".  The front or outside piece and inside liner are both 11" x 14".  I like to have coordinating fabric, but not necessarily the exact same fabric on the inside.  I think it's the quilter in me that loves to combine colors rather than make something out of all the same fabric.  I can't resist adding at least one other color to most everything that I make! 

3 layers of pockets with grey seams
Then, I iron the top of the pocket under 2x to keep it from unraveling later.  At this point, I always wish I had a serger!  Then no ironing here!  Oh well...  After stitching across the top, I sew the bottom of the pocket layers together with the right side facing out-- towards you.   Finally, I sew up 4 seams in the pockets: 2", and 3 seams at 1.5"intervals.  This creates 5 pockets: 4 1.5" pockets and one large 4" pocket for circular needles.  This creates a total of 15 pockets to store needles in. It is wide enough to store a set of 5 double pointed needles or 4 straight needles in each pocket.  The pockets hold up to 9" needles with the flap down.  If the flap is up, it will hold 14" needles.

Next, I begin on the outside piece.  I iron on the heavy weight fusible interfacing to the outside (or front) piece.  This gives it the strength it needs to support all the needles.

Front or outside piece
I sew on the 2.5" strip of coordinating fabric to the outside of the case with a satin stitch 3" up from the bottom.  This is where you will tie the ribbon to secure it closed.   Then I stitch the outside and inside together with the right sides facing each-other... presto!  A new clutch is nearly done!  After flipping it right-side out I finish with hand-stitching the seam with an "invisible" stitch.

 I just learned this stitch this year.  I have a girlfriend who can truly make it invisible. I have searched a pillow she made me to find the seam that she hand-stitched, and I can't find it!  Amazing.  Someday, I'll be that good.... ah, Perfection is so elusive.


Back on topic... I love making the knitting needle cases.  It's a fun project that is very rewarding to look at.  I have completed 4 new ones this week, and I have about 8 more cut out and ready to start.  Busy busy...  So, here's a look at what I've done and still need to do this week.  

Daisy fabric

Teal green and blue Asian floral
I especially love these three batiks! 

the dragonflies are my favorite here


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be considerate of others in your comment. Thank you.