Welcome to Sew in the Snow Blog

This blog is about my passions in life: family, quilting, and new adventures. Quilting is my main passion! I also love my family tirelessly and devote most of my energy to my young preschool girls and my husband. This blog will be about my creative process in quilting and some about being a Mom in this busy world. Being of Irish descent, I love a good story. So buckle in, here we go!

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

WIP: Rainbow Quilt

 This week I've been working on a custom order for a rainbow baby quilt.  I made the original quilt (seen above) for a friend that was adopting a 6 month old baby girl.  It has a Noah's Ark theme print in the center for the blocks.  This pattern is one of my very favorite patterns for kid's quilts.  It is so cheerful and festive I can hardly resist it.  I've made 3 of them so far.... this new one will be my fourth.

New Rainbow Quilt


 The customer really wanted it to look the same but to be a little bit smaller for a new baby. I reduced it from 12 blocks to 6 blocks.  With the border it will be smaller, nearly 1/3 smaller, than the original. So I've scrambled to find mostly matching fabrics with some from my scraps and some new fabrics. It's been really fun to try and recreate the same thing.  I love making this quilt!









So far, I've finished the blocks and gotten the first border on.  I thought I'd made enough rails to do the middle border, but I still need about half of them.  My math was off when I shrank the quilt.  (As Always.... Sigh)  So, It won't be finished tonight.  Perhaps tomorrow?  I plan on buying a Noah's Ark panel to use for the backing.  I think it'll be really cute as a double-sided quilt!  


Besides this quilt, I've completed a custom Dinosaur quilt for a favored customer from Etsy, and I've embroidered a new Princess tote for my Etsy Shop. But, other than that, I haven't gotten much done.


Dino Quilt--some going into the border!



 Princess in training tote







No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be considerate of others in your comment. Thank you.