Welcome to Sew in the Snow Blog

This blog is about my passions in life: family, quilting, and new adventures. Quilting is my main passion! I also love my family tirelessly and devote most of my energy to my young preschool girls and my husband. This blog will be about my creative process in quilting and some about being a Mom in this busy world. Being of Irish descent, I love a good story. So buckle in, here we go!

Monday, February 27, 2012

9 Patch Table Runner -- Tutorial

 I want to make a quick table runner with 9 patches.  I have a few 9 patches left over from a different project.  So, I Googled "9 patch table runner".  I found two unique methods to make a 9 patch table runner  in which you cut a 9 patch in half then rearrange the pieces.  It's called the Disappearing 9 Patch table runner.






9 Patch in half


 You start with a 9 patch, then cut it in half.  Then, cut it in half again, so that you have 4 equal pieces.

Then align them so that the small squares are in the center and sew it together.  Presto!  You have a table runner. 

I added a border, because my origianl block was only 6.5" (6"finished) so it was too narrow for my taste.







Check out these blogs where I found the pattern.


Peony Teacup blog: She reverses the quarter pieces so that the small squares are on the outside.  A totally different look with the same basic block.


Spool blog: I used her technique, with the small squares forming a kind of latter on the inside. 

She used a larger block, with 4" squares, so there was no need for a border.  I was using "left-over" blocks that were made from 2.5" blocks.  So, it was too small to leave without a border. 
new block--sorry, it's sideways.  



finished runner






No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be considerate of others in your comment. Thank you.