Welcome to Sew in the Snow Blog

This blog is about my passions in life: family, quilting, and new adventures. Quilting is my main passion! I also love my family tirelessly and devote most of my energy to my young preschool girls and my husband. This blog will be about my creative process in quilting and some about being a Mom in this busy world. Being of Irish descent, I love a good story. So buckle in, here we go!

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

New Challenging Quilt: Twisted Bargello

 It's time for a quilting adventure!  I went out tonight and bought 20 1/4 yards of fabric to make a lap-size twisted bargello quilt.  What a hoot!  I didn't even have to spend a penny of my own money, because I had gift certificates from Christmas.   Cheer's to my favorite In-Laws for an exceptional gift. Thank you Fred and Suzy, you made my day!
 Since it's still winter I was enticed to buy especially bright fabrics in luscious yellow, burnt oranges, and deep burgundy-browns.  It'll go well with the pattern I've picked called Island Sunset Bargello by Eileen Wright.



Although I love the bargello look, I have only made one bargello quilt so far. That's the green and tan one seen below.  The reason is, that it became named The Angry Quilt while I was making it.  I was quilting with a few different friends, and so I ended up sewing some of the stripe-sets on 3 different machines.  I discovered that a 1/4" foot is not exactly a 1/4" on all machines.  they were all a little bit different.  So, when I went to put them together, they didn't line up.  So, in my insanity, I unsewed nearly every seam and then resewed them to match.  This ended up making the quilt about 6" longer on one side and I was very angry as I ripped out everything. I turned a queen-size quilt into a small lap-quilt so I didn't have to fight with it anymore. Grrr....  Thus, I have put-off making another bargello.  But, I am older and wiser now. 


I plan on using only one machine with it's 1/4" foot.  That should help a lot!  Plus, taking my time and not rushing to finish it.  It should be a beauty!  Wish me luck!

Have you ever sewn an "angry quilt"?  If so, what pattern was it?  Why did it make you mad?  I'd love to hear from you!  Let's start a conversation!  Leave a comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be considerate of others in your comment. Thank you.